Lilypie 5th Birthday Ticker
Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Monday, September 24, 2007

The Iris

Okay, so I'm really about to put myself out on a limb, here. I have never in my life written a poem or even attempted to, but Saturday night all these words in the form of phrases kept coming to my mind. I couldn't sleep until I wrote it all down. It is very elementary sounding, but I feel like I am supposed to share it.














"The Iris"
I noticed this iris the other day
And it made me think of you.
It was growing all by itself along the driveway,
And it was your favorite color of flower - blue.
I call it "my little hug from God" because it felt so real
It felt as though you were watching me
And that is helping me to heal.
Another "hug" came from God on Mother's Day
When in a box outside two pocket angels I could see
It was as if I could hear you say,
One was for Boo, and the other one was for me.
I've often told others one thing that gives me peace
Is that I didn't have to watch you suffer through a disease.
Your Savior took you unexpectedly at your happiest
For that is one reason I feel so oddly blessed.
I've always thought if I lost someone close that I would feel so alone,
But I have felt just the opposite - God's goodness He has shown.
My God is drawing me closer to Him than I have ever felt before,
I am overwhelmingly amazed of the Love that He has poured.
I can't explain His comfort, His sovereignty, or His plan,
But His right hand upholds me - that I do understand.
Posted by Picasa

14 comments:

Chelle said...

Sha,
That was beautiful. Not 'elementary' at all. God has a way of helping us find peace in many different ways...from a flower to a song to a gentle breeze. Your mother would be very proud of you.

The O'Donnells said...

sha that was wonderful...God is so good and continues to show himself to me through your strength! love you!

Loustalot said...

I think your poem was beautiful and thoughtful. I'm so encouraged by your growth in the Lord. love,k

Morgan Tart said...

Sha that was beautiful! I hope everything is going well!

Anonymous said...

Sha, its a beautiful poem. I hope you share this with your dad. I think of Marsha Jo often and know she would be so proud of you. Much love, Aunt Brenda

Amanda said...

Sister...okay, now I am crying!! I thought that was beautiful and a great way to express your feelings!! Love you!!

ABL said...

No poem could be elementary that you put so much heart into. I love it and could feel your mom smiling down on everyone who reads it. It was beautiful.

Anonymous said...

Sha that was really good. That iris is Mother's way of telling you she will always be with you. I still can't believe you found those two angels on Mother's Day. She is still giving us gifts! I love you! Boo

Renee Guest said...

Sha - that is beautiful. Your mother was a wonderful mother and you are a wonderful daughter. Her legacy lives on through you and your family. I'm so happy that you continue to feel hugs from God and YOUR ANGEL!

The Segrest Family said...

oh sha... i love it!!! so sweet and really well thought... praise the Lord that you are able to SEE the iris for what it is- The Lord has opened your eyes to His love pouring on you instead of you closing them in despair!

stacy seago said...

Sha~ wow! I have tears in my eyes as I read that and all I can think about it your sweet Moma standing next to God smiling at you, being so proud of you! That was beautiful! His hand truly does uphold us! I love you sweet friend.
Stac

Anonymous said...

Dearest Sha:
I have read & reread your poem and it has brought such sweet comfort to my heart as I think of your mom.I wasn't aware that the Iris was her favorite flower. For one to spring up right in your yard & in her favorite color is simply a God Thing. You've bared your sweet soul for all to see, as you were led, I'm convinced, by God, to share these comforting words with all of us who know you, and who knows how many complete strangers who are being blessed by the unselfish sharing of your feelings about your mom. I just want to say to you, thanks for bearing your heart for all to see, how you're being drawn closer to Jesus, because of the kind of mom you had, always there, and how she demonstrated her love for the same Christ who is now holding on to you by your right hand. God go with you, sweet grandaughter. I love you from the bottom of my heart. Dee (now Grandee)

The Cross Family said...

sha-what a great poem and oh so true. i know your mom is rejoicing in heaven with you. thanks for being a great friend and for teaching me so much about God's love.

Chris and Rebecca Lee said...

thank you for sharing your heart. i love your realness. you're right; our God is so good! love ya girl, r