Lilypie 5th Birthday Ticker
Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Thursday, November 29, 2007

Remembering Mom...

I just wanted to share an awesome experience I had at our church tonight with my dad. Our church, Pinelake, has an annual dinner in honor of those who have lost loved ones over the past year, called Celebrate Life. Jeremy was on-call tonight and Boo couldn't make it at the last minute, so it was just me and Dad. Anyway, there were a little less than 100 people there - one couple which lost a 2 week old infant, two people who lost both parents within this year, one lost a girlfriend and sibling this year, and a few lost children this year. One lady sitting at my table teaches at University Christian School, where my mom taught for a semester, and she said, "Your mom isn't the Marsha Boatner who taught at UCS, is she?" This lady knew my mom and did not know that she had died. She talked about how sweet my mom was. How awesome was it that God put us at that table with this lady who knew my mom!

I also thought it was neat that I got to share the evening with my dad. If Jeremy had not been working, I might not would have even thought to ask my dad or my sister. I think God planned it for Jeremy to be working so that I could share this with my dad.

One thing we did was we lit a candle in memory of each person who had died. Jeff Holland talked a little bit about how everyone in the room had the same commonality of "hurt," but that we all shared the "hope" and "help" from our Lord. My sweet Daddy cried through the whole thing. It just reminded me again how blessed I am to have learned what I have from my mom (especially about being a mom) for the 30 years I had with her. I also feel blessed to be a part of a church family who would take the time and effort during the busy holiday season to remember those of us who have lost loved ones and are spending our first Christmas without them.

Christmas won't be easy this year. Mom and Dad's 39th anniversary is December 21 and she would have been 59 on December 31. The best way I can explain my feelings are to a puzzle that has one piece missing. The puzzle is almost complete but that one piece is lost and can't complete the puzzle. I feel so blessed and "full" by my two precious boys and husband, my dad and sister and other family, and my sweet friends. But I just have this one hole that makes it incomplete. The awesome thing is that I know one day my puzzle will be complete when I get to see my mom again!!!

One verse that was mentioned tonight was Psalm 147:3, "He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds." But then I read on in verse 5 it says, "Great is our Lord and abundant in strength; His understanding is infinite." How awesome is that kind of a God??!!!

12 comments:

Loustalot said...

Sha, that's wonderful. Just finished blogging about my aunt a few days ago and have been reflecting our lives with her and I just opened your blog about your mom. I do think it's wonderful for the experience you shared with your dad and it makes me happy Pinelake did give yall that opportunity. The verse you quote screams of God's understanding and I'm daily amazed at His Sovereignty over our lives. k

the Sandbergs said...

hey sha, that was so touching to read. your mom was a great person and i know that she would be so proud of you! i enjoyed looking at the pictures of your guys!! i'm going to put y'all on my friends list so i can keep up better! i hope y'all have a very merry christmas! emily sandberg

Dara said...

Sha, I love you, my friend! I'm praying for you! Mrs. Marsha can't wait to show you around the gates of heaven!

Carrie said...

Sha, I am a friend of Dara's and found your blog from hers. I lost my mom a little over 6 years ago. This time will be tough, but I pray you feel God's loving arms around you. Hold on to the memories...they will get you through the toughest days. Love on your dad...it's harder than he will let on!

The Cross Family said...

thanks for blessing me with your friendship. thanks for showing us Jesus, how He helps you through the hard times, and how to PRAISE Him during these times. :)

stacy seago said...

Sha~ I'm so proud of you and I KNOW your Moma is too! What a special night for you and your Dad!What a blessing!!! I love you sweet friend!

Carrie said...

What an awesome night! How wonderful for you and your dad to be able to share that, and for Pinelake to put on such a special tribute.

Chelle said...

Sha,
I know this must have been hard for you, but what a great way for you AND your dad to remember your mom. I know that she is so proud of you. I will be praying for you and your family during this holiday season, as always.
Rachelle

Chris and Rebecca Lee said...

Sha, I love reading your heart. I love our God more after reading how you are walking with Him through this hard time. I love reading what Pinelake is doing to remember special people. Girl, I love you so much and am thankful for our friendship even through the distance. Love always, r

Jan said...

Oh Sha--
I just read this -- sorry I haven't been here in a while -- and it brought tears to my eyes. I've sent it to some friends at my church who lead our GriefShare classes for their future consideration. What a beautiful ceremony of reflection on a beautiful wife/mom/sister/daughter/friend. Your mom was the best and this will be a different and difficult Christmas for all of us on so many different levels, but I can't help but think of your mom experiencing her first Christmas in glory. I can't tell you how proud I am of you and the Godly young woman you've become.
I love you so very much....
Jan

The Segrest Family said...

sha, im just now reading this (after Christmas) and im blessed by your faith! your mom was a sweet heart and i know that she is watching over you and your family with a big ole grin!!!!
love you...

The Segrest Family said...

sha, im just now reading this (after Christmas) and im blessed by your faith! your mom was a sweet heart and i know that she is watching over you and your family with a big ole grin!!!!
love you...