Lilypie 5th Birthday Ticker
Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Wednesday, October 15, 2008

St. George Island, FL

The second half of our vacation week was spent on St. George Island, Fl, which is a small island southwest of Tallahassee. We met up with Lana and Jim and spent the rest of the week with them just hanging out and going to the beach. The island is not commercialized, so it is very quiet, only a few little restaurants and shops. There is a state park with campgrounds on the east end of the island. The closest little town was Apalachicola. It is a cute little fishing town. We went out to eat dinner there one night. Also, the weekend we were there they were having the annual Oyster Spat festival on the island. (In case you didn't know, b/c I didn't - a spat is a baby oyster!!!) Lana, Jim, Jeremy and I decided to run in the 5K on Saturday morning. Jim ended up winning in his age category! (I won't tell what your age division was, Jim!) Needless to say, I came in way last of the four of us, since I haven't been running in a few months! We had a good time just relaxing after an event-filled few days at DisneyWorld!!!

Oh, I almost forgot the worst part of our trip was when Garrett and Papaw were close to being attacked by a shark!!! Actually, 2 of them. It was our second to last day at the beach and we were on the beach beside a man fishing. (That should have raised a red flag!) We had seen 2 fins earlier, but thought they were porpoises (sp). So, Lana, Jim, and KK were on the beach and Papaw and Garrett were in the water just barely in the water, still standing up. Jeremy and I were in the pavillion where we had eaten lunch. I am walking out to the beach when I hear KK screaming, "Donald, get out of the water. There's a shark! Get out! Get out of the water!!!" I start running and starting to feel myself about to cry and panic at the same time. Lana runs in the water to help get Garrett and falls down. Meanwhile, I'm running over there thinking, "I'm about to see my Garrett get attacked by a shark, and there's nothing I can do!" Lana gets Garrett out of the water and Papaw gets out safely, too. Then we saw 2 fins swim away. These sharks were about 25 feet from Garrett and Papaw! And all this time Jeremy was in the pavillion using the bathroom!!! We left after that!!!

1 comment:

The Segrest Family said...

oh my word!!! i got tears in my eyes just thinking about that!!! how scary... thank goodness for papaw and lana...