Lilypie 5th Birthday Ticker
Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Friday, July 11, 2008

Lost......and Found!!!!

Last night I felt the panic a parent feels when they can't find a child. If you haven't experienced it yet, I'm sure, at some point, you will. Jeremy and I took the boys to Belk at Dogwood Mall to find Papaw a birthday present and then we were going out to dinner. We took the escalator up to the Men's Department to look around and of course, the boys were hiding in racks and running around. After only a couple of minutes we couldn't find Garrett. We started calling his name justing waiting any minute for him to come out..... He didn't. I picked Graham up and Jeremy and I both started walking around calling Garrett's name. We walked over to the children's area and a lady made a call that we were looking for our son. I described his clothes and gave her his name and age. Still, I'm okay and I'm thinking, "Jeremy better tear his behind up when we see him." For some reason I am unusually calm in situations like this, and Jeremy- as always- is.

After a few more minutes we're both walking around the 2nd floor of Belk hollering Garrett's name. I can hear Jeremy's voice across the whole store. I am beginning to hear the panic in his voice. Now when Jeremy gets scared I get REALLY scared, since he is always the calm one. It is very unusual for Garrett to hide from us or even to walk away from us. My heart started pounding and I could feel tears welling up in my eyes. Meanwhile, EVERYONE - including employees and customers start looking for Garrett. I am still walking around with the belt in my hand that we were going to buy. (Renee, I thought of you when I couldn't find Graham and I was running around with that pizza in my hand, and you said, "Sha, put the pizza down!") I threw the belt down somewhere, as I just kept aimlessly walking around the same path, not knowing what to do. I just wanted to sit down in the floor with Graham and cry, but I knew that wouldn't help. I just prayed, "Lord, please help us find Garrett. I can't take losing my son!"

At this point it feels like it's been an eternity, but I think it had been about 20 minutes. Jeremy had looked in every rack and the dressing rooms, elevator, and bathrooms. (He told me later that he thought that someone could have gotten him and taken him to a dressing room or something and hurt him in no time. - I'm so glad he waited until later to tell me this.) Belk had initiated their response team to all the exit doors and had called the police. FINALLY, I heard someone say, "We found him!" and a lady was carrying him.

I walked over to Garrett with a scared look on his face. (We DID NOT tear his booty up - I couldn't do that!) We took him in our arms and told him how scared we were and how Momma was crying because I thought I might not ever see him again. I told him they had even called the police. He said, "They were going to put me in jail???" I said, "No, baby. They were going to help look for you." Then he says, "I sorry, Momma. I not do that again." I asked him where he had been and he told me he was under that red table. (It was a display table covered with a red tablecloth.) I said, "What were you doing?" And he said, "Hiding." I said, "Did you hear us calling you?" And he said, "Yes." (At this point we are trying not to laugh.) I said, "Why didn't you come out? Were you afraid you were going to get into trouble?" He said, "Yes."

We finally made our purchases and on the way to the van used to opportunity to talk to Garrett about what to do if a stranger ever tried to get him. As we went to bed we said our prayers and thanked God that we found our Garrett. Life just wouldn't be the same without that sweet boy who loves everybody, loves to "go somewhere" and keeps us laughing. I cannot imagine the panic and fear a parent feels when they never find their child. Needless to say, we let Garrett fall asleep in our bed with us. I think he snuggled in a little closer to me than usual, or maybe it just seemed that way!!!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Sha- such a scary scary story to tell!! I don't know what I would do and I don't think any parent does until they are in that situation. Poor little Garrett-wouldn't come out because he thought he was going to get in trouble! He is so precious-Im gonna give him a BIG hug when I see him today at our little playdate together at ChicFilA-we love you guys, Jamye

Carrie said...

I am so sorry y'all had to deal with that. I was getting panicy just reading the story. So glad you found him and he's safe and sound!

Just call me D said...

Sha I had tears in my eyes as I read this! What a terrible thought... I just can't imagine, and it just can happen so quick. It seems like there have been more than a few blogs that I've read lately about sad things happening with little ones, and it just reminds me not to take being a mama to my sweet boy for granted!

Christie said...

Sha, That story brought tears to my eyes. It is so scary to think about losing a child. I just can't imagine what I would have done. So thankful ya'll found him. It does make me smile though thinking about him scared to come out because he might get in trouble.

the Sandbergs said...

Oh my!! glad for the happy ending!!
i love keeping up with y'all, too!! i will try to call you soon. i would love to talk to your friend!

Renee Guest said...

oh my gosh.............
I know you must have been terrified. I love the very last sentence. So precious! I wonder what he was doing under that table while he heard his name being called! That little booger! I'm so happy that he is safe and sound ( and found) :)

Chris and Rebecca Lee said...

omg! sha, i was tearing up reading this. so glad he was found. 20 minutes is a long time in that situation. whew.... so glad jeremy was with you.

Anonymous said...

Bless his heart! He was scared to come out and when he did, he thought the police were going to take him to jail! That made me smile:) I'm so glad he's okay and I'm so sorry you had to go thru that. Give him a big hug for me and tell him I love him. Aunt Brenda

Kristi Voss said...

girl, I an glad you found him. He probably needed a good spanking, but I would have done the same thing, hug him so tight!